7.15.2013

Summer Porch & Welcome Post Tutorial


Since I showed you my repurposed changing table on my porch, I thought I would reveal my post-4th of July-Summer Porch!  Then I'll show you how easy it is to make a Welcome Post!
I decided to go with yellow.  I love yellow, and I think its a good late-summer color to lead into fall! 
I picked up some flowers from Hobby Lobby...and yes, I caved and bought a few of their adorable burlap ones...but only a FEW!  I made the rest! (burlap flower tutorial here)
I pulled out my old daisy and green wreath because I thought it went pretty well with the yellow.
I made my "Taylor" sign from a wooden plaque I found at DI for $2.  The green pitcher and little frog I found at the Thrift Store!  Frog: $2, Pitcher: $6

And here is, what I like to call, my Welcome Post:

I've had my post for quite some time now, but I've made them for a few friends lately, so I'll give you a little tutorial and show you how I make my version!

I know I say this a lot, but this is super easy to make!  I like to use mostly scrap wood that I have lying around, mostly to cut the cost!
But I always buy a cute little topper like this one from Lowe's:

And sometimes when I don't have scrap wood, I get some of these too:
But really, anything will work...just get creative! 
You will also need a long square 4x4 wood beam.  I get the cheapest one I can find, then I like to have Home Depot cut it for me.  I have it cut in thirds, which gives me the right length for 3 posts
For the base, I use a thin rectangular piece, then use wood glue to attach my pieces:
Here are 2 different versions:

Next attach your 4x4 piece:

Then attach your top pieces:


When the glue is completely dry, paint and sand your post.
Lastly, attach a cute hook, and then you're done!  I picked these cuties up from Hobby Lobby:

 I am always switching out what I hang on my post, but for now it's my Welcome sign
So there's my Summer Porch, and my Welcome Post tutorial!

21 comments:

  1. I love your porch, it is so inviting. The welcome post is wonderful. I think it adds so much to your decor. Love that ladder too. Thanks tons for linking to Inspire Me. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  2. HOw cute are these? What a great idea, and thanks for the tutorial. I'd love to make one for my new home (if they'd ever get it started!). They'd also be awesome Christmas gifts for family!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cindy! Yes, I have a few in my garage waiting for Christmas! lol

      Delete
  3. I love the yellow.. and I really love the ladder as a display! So clever!

    ReplyDelete
  4. PINNING! I am in LOVE with your whole set up!! I wish I had a porch to put it on!! I think I might make your welcome post sign holder....for my fireplace area!! Too cute! I would LOVE to have you share this at my weekly link party!! I am your newest facebook & Pinterest follower! http://www.madetobeamomma.com/2013/07/homemade-by-you-60.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, on the fireplace would be fabulous! Thank you so much!

      Delete
  5. Love the porch! I like the yellows and agree that it will transition nicely into fall. I would love to have you share your project(s) at the Rock 'N Share linky party too!
    Blessings, D@TheShadyPorch
    http://theshadyporch.blogspot.com/2013/07/rock-n-share-50.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is simply gorgeous!! I love all of the yellow- it's my favorite color. :)
    New follower on Bloglovin, GFC, FB, Pinterest and Twitter!

    Thanks for joining us over at Much Ado About Monday this week. Just wanted to let you know that you are my pick for our Friday Features. So, be sure to stop on by tomorrow and grab our "I Was Featured" button to display on your blog! :)

    ~Emily
    www.huckleberrylove.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, so sweet! Thank you, Thank you... for following AND for the feature!!!!

      Delete
  7. Your post is absolutely darling! I am pinning this and putting it on my "to do" list. Thanks for sharing your tutorial.
    Rita
    www.pinkpolkadotcreatons.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the welcome sign and the Est sign. You are seriously creative and talented! Hugs, Holly @ coconutheadsurvivalguide

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have been seeing these Welcome Posts around and I love them. We have a small tucked away porch that looks unwelcoming and I think it would really warm up our curb appeal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Catherine! It totally would, they are so fun!

      Delete
  10. I am in love with your post. I think I could actually do it. Now I just have to start looking for the pieces.

    And, I love your little porch.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the welcome post! It all looks so pretty! Please come and design my porch :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your front porch looks beautiful! Thanks for sharing your project at The Pin Junkie Link Party. It was featured at this week! I hope you'll stop by to get your featured button.
    http://www.thepinjunkie.com/2013/07/friday-link-party-27.html

    ReplyDelete
  13. Cutest porch ever. Love the plants and everything surrounding enhancing the color of the door and front entrance.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments! They brighten my day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...