7.02.2013

DIY Baby Gate

See this cute little guy...well, he turns 1 this month.  And that means he is crawling all over the place!  


We had to do something because he was driving me nuts!  We have a very open floorplan which makes it difficult to contain him, but we came up with a plan, and after 2 days I am happy to report that it is now complete!

The only room in the house that we can keep him enclosed is the playroom.  There are 3 hallways that filter into it, so that meant 3 baby gates!  I hate baby gates, so I knew I wanted to use the plans from the fabulous Remodelaholic found here for their barn door baby gate.

The first thing we did was go to Home Depot for the supplies.  We bought the cheapest wood we could find (which was probably our first mistake!), and all the hardware: drywall screws, latches, and hinges.  The total cost was about $120.

Here is one of them pre-paint:
 My hubs was concerned about the weight of these things, so he convinced me to leave out the 
middle "X". So unfortunately they don't look quite as pretty or as much like a barn door, but thats ok!
Also, because we used cheap wood, all 3 of them ended up being slightly bowed.  What do ya do?!  We weren't about to go buy more wood and start over, so we will live with bowed baby gates! 

We painted them with Valspar's Jekyll Grand Dining Sea Mist because that is the color of the playroom's accent wall.
Then we glazed them with Valspar's Antiquing Glaze:

Here's the hardware we chose:
These next pictures show how they look from the outside of the playroom looking in:

From the Laundry Room Hallway:
(yeah thats my son photo bombing!)

From the Kitchen:

From the Kid's Bedrooms Hallway:
 So that's all 3 gates!
This is a view from inside the playroom looking down the Laundry Room Hallway:

And how it looks open:

 This is the Playroom wall with 2 of the 3 gates open:
 I really wanted these 2 to look uniform when opened, so we made sure they both swung open to look like this.
(For some reason these pictures make these gates look totally different, even their color, but they look almost identical in person!)

 I have to admit, I was pretty intimidated with this project.  However, I was pleasantly surprised by how straight forward and uncomplicated it was!  And I have been SO happy with them.  They are extremely easy to use, especially for my older boys who have to use them constantly! 

 Thanks Remodelaholic for the awesome plans!!!

Therena


Link Parties:
Commona My HouseA Diamond in the Stuff, Fluster Buster, Savvy Southern Style, Domestically SpeakingThe Blissful Bee, Start at Home, Gingerly Made, House of Hepworths, Someday Crafts,

52 comments:

  1. this is so smart! I've never seen a good looking baby gate, so this is such a great solution!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These baby gates are beautiful! MUCH better than the kind you buy at Babies R Us :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, seriously! I hate those! Thanks so much Brittany!

      Delete
  3. I so wish I had seen this when my kids were little. It looks great.
    Traci

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Traci! I wish I had too for my older boys!

      Delete
  4. I would love for you to link this up to What I Whipped Up Wednesday! Such a cute baby gate!! (My youngest turns 1 this month, too.) XO!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you! Definitely be linking up on wednesday!

      Delete
  5. Those look great. You woudln't even think they were baby gates if you didn't know better!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those look great.. you wouldn't even know they were meant as baby gates if you didn't know better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true! When my dad came over the other day he asked what they were for! lol Thanks so much!

      Delete
  7. This is a beautiful gate! Thank you so much for Linking Up at the DIY Showcase this week. We are so happy to have you join us!
    ~ Megin of VMG206
    Join me each Tuesday for Brag About It Link Up Party

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Always love linkin up with ya!

      Delete
  8. Too cute... so much better than those plastic or metal baby gates. I'm featuring your cute baby gates in the PoPP Spotlight this week. Thanks for linking up.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great gate and it looks fabulous. Thanks for joining Inspire Me. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  10. Absolutely love your gate! I love the hardware, so cute! This is a really great idea, my guy got to the point where he would hang on ours, and since it was installed with pressure, it would slide and mess up the wall!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OH, my oldest son would do that too!!! Thanks Bethany!

      Delete
  11. Thanks for linking up to Gingerly Made's Show & Tell party last week. You've been featured! http://www.gingerlymade.com/2013/07/show-tell-features_9.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. These are the nicest baby gates I've ever seen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Margo! That's really sweet!

      Delete
  13. Best looking baby gate I've ever seen! I'll have to keep this in mind for the future! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gorgeous, ingenious and useful. Trifecta of FABULOUS! Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  15. These look so great! I don't need any right now, but for a while we used a gate for our dog. These would be perfect for that, too. Love the color and finish. So much better than plastic. :)
    kelly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! Oh yeah, I hate the plastic eye sores!

      Delete
  16. Just stopping by to let you know you were featured at Living Better Together this week! I hope you'll stop by after the party opens at 8pm to grab your button and link up again!

    http://www.livingbettertogether.com/2013/07/tgif-link-party-no-4_11.html

    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow, those turned out fabulous! And they even look great open and against the wall. Great job!Thanks so much for sharing on Project Inspire{d}:) Pinning!
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  18. Seriously genius! I love the look of this! So much better than a plastic baby gate! Thank you for sharing at Give Me The Goods!

    Dimples & Pig Tales

    ReplyDelete
  19. you did a great job! I love how they turned out. Just a little tip that I learned when buying wood, I always lay the boards on the floor (at the store) to make sure they are as straight as possible...sometime it takes a while. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Daniela, where were you 3 weeks ago?!! lol!!! I will never leave the store before doing that, Thank you Thank you!!!

      Delete
  20. I dont have any children but i'm sure they would work for my fury babies. The dark hinges are nice against it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, they would definitely work for your fury babies!! :)

      Delete
  21. Nice! We had a really large opening that we needed a baby gate for. We used a used crib, free off Craigslist and manufactured it to fit our space. Check it out if your interested: http://thisinsanehouse.blogspot.com/2013/08/the-crib-gate-scandal.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Oh cool, that's an awesome idea! I'm heading over now!

      Delete
  22. How are the gates holding up? My kids like to hang on gates. Do your boys hang on the gates?
    They're super cute, but I'd worry about them being torn off the walls. Are they doing OK?
    ♥ Jill

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a great idea! They look beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love this!!!!! So awesome! You are extremely talented!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Very cute. I like these a lot - and they do look like a project anyone could do.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh wow those are really cute! Great job! I also like the idea of your baby not being able to see through the gate because then he knows what he's missing OUTSIDE of it.

    ReplyDelete
  27. These are so fabulous! Great job. I would have been very intimidated by this project. Nice job. Stopping by from your SITS Day!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Wow! That is really nice. I have baby-gates all over the house right now and NONE of them go with the decor.May have to rethink some. Thanks for sharing and Happy SITS Day!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. These are so much nicer than traditional baby gates, and I'll bet there isn't a mad baby on the other side who can see all the fun stuff he can't get to!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments! They brighten my day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...