6.23.2013

Burlap Flower Tutorial


Lately at Hobby Lobby I've been seeing some adorable burlap flowers.  I really like the look of them, but I am too cheap! Even on sale the price makes me cringe!!!
It took me a few weeks, and multiple times to Hobby Lobby, before it dawned on me that I have been making fabric flowers for as long as I can remember!!! Silly Me!

So I bought some burlap and went to work!  
These are the simplest flowers to make.  I have made so many before using fabric, for things like headbands and dress embellishments. 

 There are 2 different flowers that I'll show you

Here's what you need:
burlap
felt
stapler
glue gun

Flower #1
1.  With your burlap, cut out 4 large circles, however large you want your flower to be.
2.  Cut out 4 smaller circles
3. Cut your base circle with your felt 

4.  Take a circle and fold it in half

5.  Then fold in half again, and staple the tip, so it looks like this:



Do this to all 8 circles:

6.  Take the 4 Large circles and hot glue them to the base:


7.  Take the 4 Small circles and glue them on top of the larger ones:


8.  Glue on your center!  I like to use twine, but you can use anything you want 
(button, jewel, whatever!)
I roll my twine like this, and just make sure to tuck the end under before I glue it in the center

That's Flower #1! 


Flower #2
1.  Cut a long, thin strip of burlap
(Also cut a base circle with your felt, just like the previous flower) 

2.  Twist the burlap strip so it looks like this:

3. While holding one end, twist it into a tight circle, and continue to do so until all the burlap is used:

4.  Tuck in the loose end and glue it to the base piece:

And there's Flower #2!

Ok, next I'll show you how I finished them.  I used the same method for both flowers: 
For some reason I always keep the stems of flowers that I've removed.  So I dug those out!  

I poked a hole through the felt, then added some glue, and stuck in the stem

For the leaves, I just cut a small strip of green burlap, like this:


 And tied it around the stem:

Here are a few I made:
I stuck these ones in a mason jar (a blue vintage one), and tied green burlap around it.  I also added a few non-burlap flowers to give the bouquet more variety in texture




I placed it on one of my thrift store serving trays, and put it on top the little hutch in my kitchen!
I'm really liking it....What do you think?!

55 comments:

  1. That is so pretty! I love the coloured burlap - gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These flowers are super cute and your tutorial is well-written. I love your cabinet even more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, me too! Its one of my favorite furniture pieces! Thank you!

      Delete
  3. I love that arrangement, and I love the piece of furniture it sits on!!!

    Brooke
    startathome.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great tutorial! I love the colors of burlap you have too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the inspiration! Love the flowers and how you arranged them. Great tutorial. Thanks for sharing on our BeBetsy Brag About It party!! We love what you do. Sharon and Denise
    Follow us:
    Facebook ~ Twitter ~ Bloglovin ~ Pinterest

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the look of these! So pretty! I'm excited that I have some burlap scraps in my craft room that would be perfect for this project. Awesome tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I love this, great tutorial and so pretty. Thanks tons for joining Inspire Me. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is cute!! I love making things and being crafty! But I'm not good at decorating and that is so simple and cute. Where did you get your large blue jar? I love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yeah this is really simple! It's just a normal quart jar that I attempted tinting with mod podge. You can't see it, but there are streaks all over it because it was my first attempt and it wasn't a good one lol!

      Delete
    2. Ok, so I just clicked on your name and figured out that its you, Heidi! I should have know from the last name! Hope you and your family are doing well! Brian has been trying to get back into bball with Bruce. Anyways, I'm glad you found my blog!

      Delete
  9. Those are super cute! I want to make some of those! I will pin them and then I will find it again!

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are darling! I pinned to make them later. I am your newest Bloglovin' follower. I hope you'll visit me at http://posedperfection.blogspot.com real soon. Have a super week!
    Blessings,
    Nici

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nici! And thanks for following along!

      Delete
  11. These are beautiful! I envy those with the gift of decorating! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great tutorial, and just in time. Am gearing up to make a burlap wreath and needed some good, clear pictures of how to make the flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you so much for sharing this tutorial - it's wonderful! I love the burlap flowers, too - and I love saving money even more!! Love the colors you used, too!

    Kim @ {enjoy the view}

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, saving money is my favorite too! Thanks so much!

      Delete
  14. SO AWESOME!!! I Lurv these! I found you through the pin junkie...Super glad I did. Following you on bloglovin fa show!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love this flower arrangement!! I wish I could find a place for an arrangement like this in my home.

    ReplyDelete
  16. These are really cool! I am not usually a fan of faux flowers, but these are truly art! The colors are especially lovely! Pinning for sure! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you! They definitely have a different look than fake flowers!

      Delete
  17. Very pretty! I love the colors that you chose. Burlap is one of my favorite fabrics to decorate with. I'm so happy that you came by to party with us at Fluster Buster's Creative Muster. Now that you found us I hope that you continue to join the party.

    Robin @ Fluster Buster

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Robin! I'll def be joining again!

      Delete
  18. So cute!! I recently did the rolled burlap flower and embellished some mason jars....but I love this layered flower look! Thanks so much for the tutorial. The green and blue are so pretty too... my favourite colours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Krista! Ooh, I should embellish my mason jars with them! What a good idea!

      Delete
  19. I love these burlap flowers in the blue mason jar!! Amazing!

    I'm absolutely saving this to my mason jar pin boards! Thanks for the amazing inspiration!!

    :) Linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Linda! I'm glad to know you were inspired!!

      Delete
  20. Super cute - love working with burlap and the blue mason jars are great!

    Thanks for sharing on the BeBetsy BRAG ABOUT IT. We'd love it if you would link back to us! Have a wonderful weekend!

    Sharon and Denise
    BeBetsy

    Follow us:
    Facebook ~ Twitter ~ Bloglovin ~ Pinterest

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks for sharing your great tutorial. I saw your feature over at Mod Vintage Life and am pinning. Lovely colors, too!

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a fabulous tutorial! Thanks so much for sharing on Project Inpsire{d}!
    Pinning
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  23. Very cute Thank for linking up on Made in a Day!
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  24. I just saw your flower tutorial on the burlap link party. I am late to hop on the burlap bandwagon and just made my very first burlap project - other than burlap curtains I made for our very first apartment because burlap was the cheapest fabric.

    I had purchased a burlap flower on-line at Paper Source -way too expensive. I can't wait to try out your ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Love this!!! Thanks for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi Therena! I love these flowers! Thank you so much for this great tutorial! Blessings from Bama!

    ReplyDelete
  27. So excited to make some of these! Needed something simple & cheap for the wreath for my front door!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Oh these are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments! They brighten my day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...