5.23.2013

Thrifty Thursday: Shelf Makeover

Today I'm going to show you how I turned this:

 Into THIS:
 All for about $8.00!

This ugly wood shelf cost me $1.99 at DI.  And I have to tell you, I have never gone to a thrift store and NOT found a shelf similar to this.  They are everywhere!  

I first started by removing those ugly wooden pegs, and filling the holes with wood filler

Next I mixed up my chalk paint using Valspar's Transit Pass (it's a neutral yellow)
When it was dry I sanded by hand.  I like to sand by hand on smaller projects.

Then I used Valspar's Antiquing Glaze (can you tell I like Valspar?!)
This stuff works really well at darkening the areas that have been sanded! Again, I use a damp cloth to wipe it off.  

When the iron stuff was on sale at Hobby Lobby, I picked out my 3 hooks and screwed them in!

And thats it!!! 
If you are wanting to try painting or have a project you are hesitant to paint, go to Goodwill, pick up a shelf like this one and give this little project a try first!  This is SO easy! And Cheap! And Cute!
Oh, and I've had some questions about my homemade Chalk Paint:
This is what I do:
Take about 2 TBSP Plaster of Paris
Add about 4 TBSP warm water (I add a little more if needed)
Mix until dissolved
Then add about a cup of paint (any paint) and mix WELL!

Link Parties:
Tater Tots & Jello: Weekend Wrap Up, Huckleberry Love

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments! They brighten my day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...