5.20.2013

My Mother's Rocking Chair

My mom had six children.  She rocked each of us in the same wooden rocking chair.  She adored it.  The youngest of our bunch is 22.  She has held on to this chair for all this time.  A few years ago her and my dad moved into a much smaller home.  It has been sitting in the garage since then.  Finally my Dad made her get rid of it!  

My Mom was beside herself, so I told her I would take it, only if she would be ok with me refinishing it.  Of course she agreed!!

So I was finally able to finish it! Yay!

Here it is sitting in the garage:

Once again, I did NOT sand before painting!  I made my homemade chalk paint and used Martha Stewart's Spanish Moss (available at Home Depot)

Then I distressed using my electric sander for most of it.  But I like to go back and sand certain areas by hand too.

Next I used Valspar's Antiquing Glaze.  I like to use a foam brush for this, and I wipe it off with a damp cloth.

I finished with a polycrylic in clear satin.

It is now sitting in my nursury so I can enjoy rocking my baby in it!

Party Links:




3 comments:

  1. I love this rocker, it looks so comfortable and the new paint treatment is perfect. Thanks tons for joining Inspire Me. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the story behind the rocker! It looks so pretty now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I'm just so glad I ended up with it!

      Delete

Thank you for your comments! They brighten my day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...